Located in the heart of Ottawa’s Glebe neighbourhood, Emond Harnden is a progressive and exciting place to begin or enhance your career. As a boutique labour and employment law firm, we have been representing the interests of management in both official languages since 1987. We are looking for other forward-thinkers to join our team.
Research Department Manager
As a key member of the senior management team and working closely with the Director of Research and COO, the Research Department Manager will be responsible for leading the strategic and operational development of the department as well as supporting the professional growth of legal resources across the firm. Change management is a key element of this position.
As the successful candidate, the Research Department Manager will be skilled in the following competency areas: Innovation management; planning and project management; motivating others; and organizational agility.
Primarily, the Research Department Manager will be responsible for:
- Coordination of knowledge transfer: Identifying substantive learning needs and knowledge gaps across the organization and facilitating knowledge transfer. Developing tools and venues for knowledge acquisition and delivery. Exploring and integrating the use of AI tools.
- Business development/business data management: Working closely with the Marketing and Communication Manager to promote the Research Department’s services, expertise, and content to both existing and potential clients. Coordinating the development of presentations, trainings, seminars, and short conferences. Packaging and marketing existing services and toolkits to our clients based on their identified sector and needs. Assisting with planning and executing programs and trainings for clients.
- Coordination of (new) industry and sector content and tool development: In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Manager, leveraging all existing communication vehicles (such as newsletters and breakfast seminars) and spearheading the development of content and tools that target market growth within specific industries with the guidance of sector teams (e.g. education, aviation, etc.).
- Strategic oversight of workflow and legal resource management: Monitoring work assignments and maximizing the available skills and knowledge of researchers, research lawyers, associates, and articling students. Having a general understanding of the workload and capacity of each legal resource in order to ensure that work is properly assigned.
- Department team leadership: Reviewing Research Department data and developing learning plans with each member; coordinating team meetings as needed to communicate departmental and organizational updates. Being an active member of senior administration by contributing to the broader strategic goals of the organization and ensuring seamless communication towards and within the Research Department.
- Training and development: Developing comprehensive onboarding protocols, orientation processes, and training programs for all legal resources, including acting as point of contact for lawyers as it relates to their learning. Developing a mentorship curriculum and coordinating educational events.
Please submit your resume with a letter of intent to: email@example.com
Bilingual Legal Assistant
Our Legal Assistants are responsible for providing administrative support to multiple lawyers. We are looking for legal assistants who are aligned with our entrepreneurial spirit, who care and see the value of their work, and who share our drive for delivering high caliber client service.
The Legal Assistant performs a wide range of duties, including the following:
- Schedule maintenance
- Drafting and correspondence
- General Administration
If you’re interested in a position in our summer or articling program, please visit our Students page.