- This event has passed.
2019 Employment Law Year End Wrap Up
22 January @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am
As an executive, corporate counsel, human resources practitioner or other professional responsible for human resources within your organization, it is important to keep abreast of legal issues affecting the workplace, but it is often difficult to find the time to dedicate to remaining current.
In this fast-paced breakfast seminar, our lawyers will summarize for you the most important employment law and legislative developments from 2019. These short summaries will provide you with a bottom line analysis of the implications of each of these key developments, to help you better understand the current legal landscape as we move ahead into 2020.
Topics of discussion will include:
- An update from the Ontario Court of Appeal on a 30-month reasonable notice “high water mark” set last year;
- The effect of fixed-term contracts on damages for wrongful or constructive dismissal;
- The state of the law on recognizing a “tort of harassment”;
- The potential costly implications for the breach of employer obligations, such as failing to investigate allegations of harassment and abuse, or breaching the duty of good faith and fair dealing in the manner of termination;
- The significance of the Ontario Court of Appeal’s decision in Heller v. Uber Technologies Inc. on the enforceability of arbitration provisions in employment contracts; and
- Key legislative updates, including:
- Limitations on public sector compensation under Bill 124;
- Amendments to the Employment Standards Act, 2000;
- A check-in regarding employer obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005; and
- Significant Canada Labour Code amendments, and the creation of a federal Pay Equity Act
- This event is accredited for 1 CPD hour for HRPA members.
- This event qualifies for 1 substantive hour of the CPD requirement of the LSO.
You can attend this Breakfast Seminar in person or via webcast.
Please note that tickets are available online until January 21, 9:30 am EST. Please be aware that this event will be recorded. By attending in person, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the privacy statement.
Emond Harnden is proud to host this event via webcast for those who cannot attend in person.