- This event has passed.
Breakfast Seminar Series – Bill 148: Proposed Changes to Ontario’s Labour and Employment Laws
28 June, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am
On June 1, 2017, the Ontario government introduced Bill 148, the Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017, which, if passed, would result in sweeping changes to labour and employment laws in Ontario.
While the proposed increase to the minimum wage has received the most attention in the media, there are numerous other proposed changes that will also have a significant impact on employers.
Join us on June 28, 2017, as our lawyers provide an overview of the proposed changes to the Employment Standards Act, 2000 and the Labour Relations Act, 1995 and discuss some of the potential significant implications for employers, including:
- Equal pay for part-time, casual, temporary and seasonal employees
- Extension of the 10-day Personal Emergency Leave entitlement to employers with fewer than 50 employees and requiring 2 of the days be paid
- Changes to and new scheduling rules
- Increased vacation time and vacation pay
- Extension of successor rights to the retendering of building services contracts and allowing the government to apply this expansion to the retendering of other publicly funded contracted services
- Just cause protection during the period between union certification and conclusion of a first collective agreement
- Card-based certification to be established for temporary help agency industry, building services sector and home care and community services industry
1 CPD Hour for HRPA Members
Contact us for more information regarding your HRPA Continuing Professional Development requirement.