Navigating Requests for Employee Medical Information
10 December @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am
Employers often need to request medical information from an employee’s health care practitioner for purposes like determining an employee’s entitlement to leave or benefits, or carrying out the employer’s duty to accommodate. The process can be a difficult one for employers to navigate, raising complex issues about the nature and extent of the information that employers can request, the rights and obligations of employees, and the role of the union and the employee’s medical professionals.
Please join Jock Climie and Larissa Volinets Schieven in an informative and practical discussion of the employer’s duties regarding requests for medical information and best practices for addressing common issues that may arise.
Topics to be addressed include the following:
- What information is an employer allowed to request and when?
- What is the proper balance between an employer’s need for information and an employee’s right to privacy?
- What happens if an employee refuses to share information?
- What should an employer do with unclear medical information?
- What happens if a doctor is acting as an advocate rather than providing objective information?
- Is an employer required to implement an accommodation outlined by the employee’s doctor?
- This event is accredited for 1 CPD hour for HRPA members.
- This event qualifies for 1 substantive hour of the CPD requirement of the LSO.
You can attend this Breakfast Seminar in person or via webcast.
Please note that tickets are available online until December 9, 9:30 am EST. Please be aware that this event will be recorded. By attending in person, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the privacy statement.
Emond Harnden is proud to host this event via webcast for those who cannot attend in person.